Areas of practice
DS Criminal Law Group
515 S. Flower Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Welcome to DS Criminal Law Grop
Charged or Arrested of a Crime in Los Angeles County?
When you or a loved one has been arrested, you are probably scared, embarrassed and confused. You need professional help to get you through this difficult time. If you or someone you care about has been arrested for a crime or DUI, you want a team of lawyers and legal professionals working for you.
Make sure not to speak with the police or anyone else until after you have spoken with a lawyer. So many people think they are not in a serious situation or that they can talk their way out of it. The Los Angeles police department is not your friend. Those folks tend to end up in jail because they opened their mouths.
The Importance of Choosing the Right Attorney
Hiring the right criminal defense firm will be one of the most important decisions of your life. Many lawyers work alone or in a firm where there is little discussion of the cases between the attorneys. At DS Criminal Law Group, we review the evidence and discuss defense strategies for each and every one of our clients’ cases. Our team of experienced criminal defense lawyers is led by three attorneys, Dan Smith, Vincent Ross and Jon Pettis. Each of them has a good deal of experience handling all sorts of DUI and criminal cases. Over time, each has also carved out a niche where they excel. Dan Smith achieved a great deal of success in Federal court. Vincent Ross has had a very successful career handling felonies in particular. Jon Pettis has developed the reputation as one of Southern California’s best DUI defense attorneys. Together with the other attorneys and legal professionals at DS Criminal Law Group, they work together as a team to fight for each client.
Can I Afford A Criminal Defense Lawyer?
Facing a criminal or DUI case is probably is one of the most serious situations you or your loved one will ever face. You cannot afford NOT to hire the best possible representation. Depending on what you are accused of, you could be facing prison or jail time, fines and other punishment from the court. And, that is only the beginning. Criminal cases often mean losing your job or professional license and often mean losing your driver’s license.
At DS Criminal Law Group, we are dedicated to providing the finest representation and also dedicated to making sure money is not a problem. We take many cases for little or no money down and are always willing to work with clients on affordable payment plans.
What Can a Defense Attorney Do For Me?
If you are looking for a criminal defense lawyer you are looking for a firm that will use their experience and skill to:
- Analyze all the evidence the police and prosecution have to determine if you can be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt
- Develop defense strategies to provide you with the best chance of success
- Complete a thorough investigation to secure evidence that will help your case
- Carefully scrutinize the police actions to determine if your rights were violated
- Work closely with the client to ensure you get the least punishment possible
- Consult with the client each step of the way to make sure they understand what is going on and what their options are
- Provide reliable, trustworthy legal advice based on years of successful criminal defense practice
How important is a DUI Lawyer?
If you or someone you care about has been accused of driving under the influence, it is critical to have an experienced DUI lawyer working on the case. Lots of lawyers will take DUI & DWI cases, but don’t have a clue how to defend them. You need an attorney who understands police procedures, like field sobriety tests. You also need a lawyer who understands the science involved in blood and breath testing and knows how the machines are susceptible to errors. Just because you blow over the legal limit doesn’t mean you are necessarily guilty.
What Should I Expect When Charged with DUI in California?
- The first thing to know is that DMV is going to take your license away if you or your lawyer do not call to a hearing within 10 days. At the hearing, your lawyer can try and save your driver’s license.
- In California you are going to be charged with a least two crimes, driving under the influence (Vehicle Code section 23152(a)) and driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.08% or more (Vehicle Code section 23152(b)). They are separate charges with separate issues involved.
- If you hire an attorney, chances are you will not ever have to appear in court in person. Your attorney can make all the appearances for you.
- If you have prior DUI’s, it is a good idea to consider going to AA or some alcohol rehabilitation program immediately to help your lawyer get you the best possible result. It helps to give the prosecution and judge a reason to believe you are not going to drink and drive again.
- Do not think there is no hope. Many times, with blood alcohol levels far above the legal limit, a good DUI lawyer can get a deal or win at trial. The testing machines make mistakes.
- If there was an accident, do not discuss your drinking with your insurance company. If you believe you were at fault, let them know that and encourage them to pay the victim as soon as possible. This can help with your case later.
- Remember, to properly take care of your case takes time. You should expect the case will take at least 4 months if not much longer.
At DS Criminal Law Group our attorneys are continually honing their court skills as well as studying to keep up with the science and law involved in defending DUIs.
Our Pledge to You
DS Criminal Law Group pledges to provide the finest legal representation to our clients. We will aggressively fight to protect you and do everything legally and ethically possible to get you the best possible result.
Contact a Los Angeles Criminal Lawyer at (213) 289-9400